What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Board recommendation

Phra

hello everyone
I'm in the process of building my first 2.4r2 kit from formbot and, as I have some leftover parts from a previous project and a E3 switchwire I'm going to be selling as soon as i complete the v2.4 that I can cannibalize, I'm facing some decisions.

The choices are:

regarding the board, I'm going CAN BUS either case:
OCTOPUS v1.1 + btt pi (more powerful but messier) or manta m8p v1.1 + cb01 (slower but cleaner build)

Stealthburner:
NEMA 14: moons of fysetc
Fans: fysect or unbranded

What would you recommend/do?

I actually recommend going with

a) a pi of your choice (I would choose a pi4b of 4GB since that is the optimal price point and memory right now plus they are available but 8GB if you want to go all out)

and

b) an Octopus Pro board since with an Octopus Pro board you won't subsequently need to upgrade your board if you ever want to go for 48V for faster speeds/accels due to greater torque capability (I've gone this route myself on my Trident 350).

a) a pi of your choice (I would choose a pi4b of 4GB since that is the optimal price point and memory right now plus they are available but 8GB if you want to go all out)

and

b) an Octopus Pro board since with an Octopus Pro board you won't subsequently need to upgrade your board if you ever want to go for 48V for faster speeds/accels due to greater torque capability (I've gone this route myself on my Trident 350).

Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately I don't want to buy new parts atm.
There will always be time to upgrade in the future

Either of your setups should work just fine.
For the Pis, remember that a Pi Zero 2W is plenty to run a Voron with a camera. A Pi4 of any flavor is overkill (I say this with a Pi 4 4GB in my Trident--because that was what was easy to get at the time). I have a Pi 3B+ in my V0.2 because I couldn't get a Zero 2W when I was building it and it's working just fine.

Last I checked the Pi5 was only $10 more than the Pi4 if both have the same amount of RAM. Not that you need the Pi5 to run Klipper. I'm spoiling myself now by doing Klipper testing on an M2-Pro based Apple Mac Mini. Screens scroll so fast during builds that I can't read the screen. Faster is nice even if you don't need it.

That said, if I had to buy a Pi right now for a printer I'd go with the Bigtreetech Pi3 clone. It has better connectors and power inputs and costs only $28.

Last I checked the Pi5 was only $10 more than the Pi4 if both have the same amount of RAM. Not that you need the Pi5 to run Klipper. I'm spoiling myself now by doing Klipper testing on an M2-Pro based Apple Mac Mini. Screens scroll so fast during builds that I can't read the screen. Faster is nice even if you don't need it.

That said, if I had to buy a Pi right now for a printer I'd go with the Bigtreetech Pi3 clone. It has better connectors and power inputs and costs only $28.
Pi 5 is currently not recommended to be used with 3D printer. It does not have video encoder for camera to work properly (only in software) and and DSI screen support is also wonky at this stage. Get Pi4 for now, at least until software support gets better.