What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

First Voron build, first print goes from bad to okay

Adn

Hi all!
I'm finally getting around to trying to print with my recently assembled Voron 2.4 350mm spec. I started out with the voron cube, using the default OrcaSlicer profile, and the print started out ROUGH.
1711315985606.jpeg
First the purge at the beginning was odd, it has regions of "blebbing" where the left side has tons of material, and the right is super thin. Then the print starts:
1711316054238.jpeg
And the bottom of the print is super messed up. Surprisingly though, the cube starts to get better and better as it gets further into the print. I'm not totally sure what the cause for this is, maybe there was a blockage in the nozzle? The chamber not being hot enough? I should say I'm printing ASA and changed out the extruder to be a Galileo 2, as well as using Voron Tap.
Edit: Trying again letting the printer heat soak more before starting printing ended up with the same messed up first layers, I guess my next theory is the bed is too hot?
Looking forward to being a part of the community!
-Adrian

Last edited:
Looks like you are too close on the first layer. What I would start with is setting up the right first layer squish. My method is by printing a flat square. https://www.printables.com/model/155988-first-layer-calibration
Then as it is printing use the fine tuning built into mainsail to go up or down until you get a nice smooth first layer and hit save in the fine tuning area. Then when you have to do a Save_config

Something else looks off, are you using the part cooling fan for ASA? I run between 20% and 30% after layer 2 or 3.

Looks like you are too close on the first layer. What I would start with is setting up the right first layer squish. My method is by printing a flat square. https://www.printables.com/model/155988-first-layer-calibration
Then as it is printing use the fine tuning built into mainsail to go up or down until you get a nice smooth first layer and hit save in the fine tuning area. Then when you have to do a Save_config

Something else looks off, are you using the part cooling fan for ASA? I run between 20% and 30% after layer 2 or 3.
Thanks for the tip, I'll do the first layer calibration after work.
Yeah there were definitely other issues in my next test print. It looks like in the profile the cooling fan should have been off for the first 3 layers and then it runs at 35%. I'll try and run it even lower.

Finally getting around to this, Z offset did indeed solve a lot of my problems, thanks for the tip :)
I thought the Z homing was what was getting the Z offset each time, my mistake I missed that part in the documentation.
Still working a bit on tuning the part cooling fan dialed in just right but the parts I just printed are functional!