What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Guts of a Prusa MK3S+ for a Voron?

KingGlod

Hi Y'all,
quick question, soon (tm) I'll be upgrading my MK3S+ to either a MK3.9 or the full MK4, which means I'd be left with a perfectly good board, an extruder and some other bits and bops that are less then a year old. Would it make sense to use them for a potential voron, or is it not really worth the hassle?
I'd also have an old duet 2 Maestro in my spares box, if that would make things any better.
Thanks in advance,
KG

Hi, welcome, any parts can be used towards future VORON, but it depends on what VORON you want to build :) Do you have specific model in mind?

Those bits and bobs from MK3 are just a small part of a VORON, you still need frame, buildplate, silicone heater, rest of electronics - other motors, SSR, PSUs, ... there's a lot that goes into a printer like VORON. Nowadays most people rather buy a full kit, all the parts needed to assemble full printer in a box, instead of sourcing each part individually. But as someone who self-sources printers, I can tell you that you can learn a lot just by doing initial research and discovering why such and such parts are being used.

I haven't really thought about it yet, but it would probably a "full size" version, not the small baby one.
Yeah, a Kit would probably be best, however I am a MASSIVE cheapskate, lol, so using those parts would be nice. Not the least because I would love to use sensorless homing for X and Y, if I ever need to wire an endstop switch I might never stop screaming.
My chief concern was jsut that the old Rambo Board is quite slow and limited and might just not be fast enough for a Voron moving at typical speed

I haven't really thought about it yet, but it would probably a "full size" version, not the small baby one.
Yeah, a Kit would probably be best, however I am a MASSIVE cheapskate, lol, so using those parts would be nice. Not the least because I would love to use sensorless homing for X and Y, if I ever need to wire an endstop switch I might never stop screaming.
My chief concern was jsut that the old Rambo Board is quite slow and limited and might just not be fast enough for a Voron moving at typical speed
Oh don't worry about the slowness of the board, VORONs run Klipper on small computer like Raspberry Pi, taking care of all computations and motion planning, and printer board (MCU) will just be a slave reading sensor data and sending instructions to motors. You will still need second MCU if you go with one of the big VORONs, because typical Trident needs 6 motors, and typical 2.4 needs 7 motors with corresponding drivers. RAMBo has only 4 drivers.

If you want to buy cheaper parts, I recommend following:
1. Decide what VORON you want to build. I'd recommend Trident if yiou are a beginner into VORONs, it's easier to assemble.
2. Get a BOM (bill of materials) list generated on https://vorondesign.com webpage for your given model and size. Then open a sourcing guide to get picture of what you are looking for and where to get it.
3. Watch deals at vendors (on Discord in vendor_promotions channel for example) or marketplaces (like garage_sale on Discord). You can get cheaper second-hand or unused parts from people who want to get rid of stuff they bought.
4. Make a list of parts and tick what you have received.
5. Once you have everyyhing, print VORON parts from ASA or ABS and assemble it.
Don't cheap out on what you buy. Part of the journey is also learning what you can get cheaper, and what components are critical to have best quality you can afford. Also, you will need tools. Lots of tools. Compared to Prusa, VORONs are not as plug'n'play with pre-crimped everything, if you go self-sourcing, be prepared to spend quite a few hours crimping connectors.

GL and HF! Ask if you have any questions.

Spare parts are always best kept in my totes for printers as needed. Alot of times you run into issues like myself with the REVO, where you are like screw this I am putting my other hot-end back on while I wait for new parts or changes to be implemented (I bent the REVO nozzles twice in a week with a new printer build)..

But I highly recommend a Voron 2.4/Trident or V0.1 build from a whole kit; If you are on a budget then FYSETC is the way to go in my opinion; otherwise go for the LDO kit.