What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

What makes a Voron a Voron?

Rusty105

What makes a Voron a Voron?

So , before I embark on my 2.4 build I thought I would do a warm up and convert an old printer to a Switchwire. It would be repurposing an existing unit, an Anet A8, and sort of be a dry run on what tools and supplies I may need for the 2.4 build, and can anyone really have enough 3D printers?

I was going originally to upgrade my Prusa MK3S+ to a MK4, and use all the removed parts to upgrade the Anet A8 to a "Prusa MK3S+", but didn't see that as cost effective. Then I found the Switchwire mods , and it seems everyone is taking other printers and making them Swithwires, so why not the A8?

So, the bad.... it's an old Anet A8
The good (maybe), it was upgraded to the AM8 metal frame with 2040 extrusions.

I did find one other A8 "upgrade" on github, https://github.com/maximilian-foerg/AM8-Switchwire-Mod but it had me asking, what makes a Voron a Voron? Is it the tool head? Linear rails? Core XZ/XY configurations? is it being enclosed?

So, my tentative plan, Strip the AM8 and check for squareness. I then need about $300 in electronics; power supplies, control board, RasPi, Prusa type heatbed and Y carrage (not using the Anet carrage and heatbed, as I want to use my exsiting Prusa flexible build sheets). I thought of using the STL files from the above Switchwire mod, but I think I will loose some performance and accuracy by re-using the Anet linerar rails. I also thought of using a Prusa MK3S+ extruder and hotend, as I can print the parts and utilize the same consumables and spares as my real MK3S+, but if I have to mod the carrage mount I might as well go with Voron supported tool, such as the Stealthburner, so many option.....

So...... What makes a Voron a Voron?

The community and your choice of parts, and configuration is what makes a Voron.

Once you start your build you will find you need to ask some questions. Jump on the forum or Discord and you will get an answer and maybe lots of answers.
Need to choose an Hotend? There is probably a mod to incorporate any hotend/extruder combo.
Have an idea on a Macro? Modify one or create your own from scratch.

This is what makes a Voron a Voron.

Voron is the true open source system of all printers; the community built industry standard. Its outstanding feature are top rated performance and decentralized BOM sourcing.

Voron is the true open source system of all printers; the community built industry standard. Its outstanding feature are top rated performance and decentralized BOM sourcing.
Voron is in huge debt to the guys of the Reprap project, who were the first to release an open source 3d printer design. Also, there are lots of open source 3d printers out there as well, Voron just got lucky to become the most popular one in the recent years.

Voron is in huge debt to the guys of the Reprap project, who were the first to release an open source 3d printer design. Also, there are lots of open source 3d printers out there as well, Voron just got lucky to become the most popular one in the recent years.

I wouldn't say lucky. A lot of people put in a lot of work to make Voron printers be the high quality printers they are.

I wouldn't say lucky. A lot of people put in a lot of work to make Voron printers be the high quality printers they are.
One very famous Brazilian Olympic volleyball coach usually says that luck is just being prepared beforehand when opportunities present themselves. In that sense Voron got lucky (*hears Daft Punk music*).

I would say there was more to it than luck. There's been a mind-boggling amount of work put into these printer designs--AND documentation!--to make them as good as they are and so good to build.
The quality of the documentation, plus just how well written the initial startup things are written, then add in community support via the Discord and Ellis' regularly updated tuning guide... Such is what pretty much sealed the deal for me choosing a Voron Trident as my first printer. There were many other printer designs out there that fit my list of requirements and budget, but none were anywhere near as thorough on the documentation, and having some of the basic troubleshooting that will wind up happening during setup be part of such was immensely useful.

@WhiteWulfe
The documentation may need minor touches. It might be easier to figure out which part I need. STL name or link on github.
View attachment 3501
I agree, doubly so for those who haven't built one already, were bored and wandered through that section of the Github, or were the ones printing their own parts. They're always taking suggestions, as well as helpful/polite pointing out of something being a typo, wrong, or mislabeled in a manual. I know the process tends to involve Github (easier to track it that way), but I don't recall which precise section they want such to be mentioned in. (aka whether to create a ticket, leave a comment, or such things)

The most important feature of open source development communities is that they develop with new ideas. Communities that aim to make money generally tend to stick to a single idea. Different ideas mean development.
"to boldly go where no one has gone before"
Gems to be discovered within different ideas...

Do you think the vorons evolve faster?
I got busy this summer, since it was always so nice outside, and stepped away from the voron build.
I was worried that by the time I got back to it the stealthburner would be old hat and something newer and better would be recommended.
Tap has done some evolution/revision.

I m working on load cell based bed levelling and homing sensors. HX711 and load cell may handle its. Many personal developers are innovating. We can find most different works on github. The same situation exists among klipper developers.There are wonderful improvements. The fact that it is not included in the main design, that it takes a long time to control and test is the lack of the management team. People need to be directed to talk about and vote on different developments in the forum. Other communication places are temporary and difficult to track.

Load cell based bed levelling, meshing
Load cell based homing
Load cell based impact detection
Load cell based filament pressure detection

It is a long process without help for electronic, programming and cad design works and tests. It becomes a new stealth burner.

All good answers. But the best one is right now our overworked serialsaniity is the first line of what make a a Voron a Voron. If you derived your design from Voron and you can plead your case. Chances are it is a Voron.

All good answers. But the best one is right now our overworked serialsaniity is the first line of what make a a Voron a Voron. If you derived your design from Voron and you can plead your case. Chances are it is a Voron.
I wanna make a shirt that reads "Chances are its a Voron"

Voron for me is the superb community first then the ample amount of documentation and then the printer itself which was so well thought out that it could be built using non proprietary parts. I have learned so many things as I build my first voron trident that it has opened doors to new possibilities. Lastly the vast number of mods that can completely elevate your voron build. Tbh I have never had so much fun in a long time being a part of project development than I have had here.