What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Secret Santa Trident 350

Nurgelrot

20230416_1854584912.jpg20230416_1855246712.jpg20230416_1855076603.jpg
Thought I’d publish a couple pictures of `SecretSanta` before I put into full service. It started out as a Fysetc Trident 350 kit that I won in the Voron Discord vendor Santa giveaway. Then on Nero3D’s New Year’s live stream I won a set of ACM panels from Printed Solid. Very lucky end of year for me.

I ended up requesting those panels to fit a different Voron but I liked them so much I’ve since ordered and installed a set from Printed Solid here as well. Proving that vendor giveaways do generate more business.

I dint feel like do a full build log. We have all, by now seen a few hundred Voron builds. I also went for a simple color scheme. I would have done something in red but I already have too many red printers – red and green would have been over the top :). Simple black and white looks nice.

This build departs from the “standard” Voron in that it’s using RepRapFirmware on a Mellow/Fly Super8 Pro controller and a build of firmware for the Mellow/Fly SB2040 tool board. Which implements CANFD in the firmware to allow it to talk to RRF native. Sadly owing to Bosch’s unwillingness to explore a software implementation of CANFD this code wont see the light of day. (at least in any binary distributed form). However, Fly has stepped up and is working on a version of the SB2040 that will have in hardware CANFD – fingers crossed.

So all the specs for people that enjoy them:
  • Printed parts per PIF instructions in ApolloX ASA (b&w)
  • Bulk of hardware Fysetc Voron Trident 350 kit.
    • Replaced Motors with LDO Trident Kit
    • Replaced toothed idlers with genuine Gates
    • Replaced all fans with higher quality fans.
  • Voron Opto TAP Fysetc kit and printed Stealthburner+PCB and 30x30 fan cable cover
  • Fly Super8 Pro wifi enabled controller running Teamgloomy’s RRF 3.5_beta2
  • Fly SB2040 running Teamgloomy’s RRF 3.5_beta2
  • West3D Titanium backers.
  • West3D kinematic bed kit.
  • Printed Solid ACM panels.
Thank you very much to the Voron Design Discord team, Fysetc, Nero3D and Printed Solid and Teamgloomy for making this build a reality for me.

View attachment 2254View attachment 2255View attachment 2256
Thought I’d publish a couple pictures of `SecretSanta` before I put into full service. It started out as a Fysetc Trident 350 kit that I won in the Voron Discord vendor Santa giveaway. Then on Nero3D’s New Year’s live stream I won a set of ACM panels from Printed Solid. Very lucky end of year for me.

I ended up requesting those panels to fit a different Voron but I liked them so much I’ve since ordered and installed a set from Printed Solid here as well. Proving that vendor giveaways do generate more business.

I dint feel like do a full build log. We have all, by now seen a few hundred Voron builds. I also went for a simple color scheme. I would have done something in red but I already have too many red printers – red and green would have been over the top :). Simple black and white looks nice.

This build departs from the “standard” Voron in that it’s using RepRapFirmware on a Mellow/Fly Super8 Pro controller and a build of firmware for the Mellow/Fly SB2040 tool board. Which implements CANFD in the firmware to allow it to talk to RRF native. Sadly owing to Bosch’s unwillingness to explore a software implementation of CANFD this code wont see the light of day. (at least in any binary distributed form). However, Fly has stepped up and is working on a version of the SB2040 that will have in hardware CANFD – fingers crossed.

So all the specs for people that enjoy them:
  • Printed parts per PIF instructions in ApolloX ASA (b&w)
  • Bulk of hardware Fysetc Voron Trident 350 kit.
    • Replaced Motors with LDO Trident Kit
    • Replaced toothed idlers with genuine Gates
    • Replaced all fans with higher quality fans.
  • Voron Opto TAP Fysetc kit and printed Stealthburner+PCB and 30x30 fan cable cover
  • Fly Super8 Pro wifi enabled controller running Teamgloomy’s RRF 3.5_beta2
  • Fly SB2040 running Teamgloomy’s RRF 3.5_beta2
  • West3D Titanium backers.
  • West3D kinematic bed kit.
  • Printed Solid ACM panels.
Thank you very much to the Voron Design Discord team, Fysetc, Nero3D and Printed Solid and Teamgloomy for making this build a reality for me.
Do you have any more info on the CAN-FD firmware implementation for the SB2040 board?

Do you have any more info on the CAN-FD firmware implementation for the SB2040 board?
Not a lot to say about it. It was made by Gloomyandy of Teamgloomy. He calls it pico-can. But Bosch has told him they have no interest in pursuing a software implementation of their patented CAN-FD protocols and denyed his request to allow its release. Teamgloomy has since focused on a SPI-CANPD hardware implementation . Sadly the realities of market share and hype make it so hardware manufactures are reluctant to invest much in the underdog even when they have a much better implementation of CAN.

Not a lot to say about it. It was made by Gloomyandy of Teamgloomy. He calls it pico-can. But Bosch has told him they have no interest in pursuing a software implementation of their patented CAN-FD protocols and denyed his request to allow its release. Teamgloomy has since focused on a SPI-CANPD hardware implementation . Sadly the realities of market share and hype make it so hardware manufactures are reluctant to invest much in the underdog even when they have a much better implementation of CAN.
Ah ok, thanks for the info. I think I found the dev branches with some of that code, tried compiling it but couldn't quite get it all to build successfully. That's a shame they won't allow a release.