What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question SKR Pico with BTT Smart Filament Sensor v2

BOSSJoe

Hello,

I have bought two SFS v2 and would like to connect one of them to an SKR Pico board which is installed in my Voron 0.2.

Is there an official way to do this? I couldn't find anything in the manuals.

Thank you very much

Greetings
Joe

Based on your question which piqued my interest I took a look at the pico schematic. It appears that there is no port for an SFS v2 so I don't think you can plug it into the pico I'm afraid (though I can be corrected of course). What I'd consider, is maybe investing in a Klipper Expander board and trying that in your pico, perhaps. Another choice might be to scrap the pico and consider something like an SKR mini E3 v3. I'm not quite sure whether that board combined with a klipper expander would work; you'll need to look into that. If you definitely want it to work then an Octopus or Octopus Pro board will be sure to work as I have used both of those on 24 and 48V for my printer in general and they definitely have a port for the SFS.

Based on your question which piqued my interest I took a look at the pico schematic. It appears that there is no port for an SFS v2 so I don't think you can plug it into the pico I'm afraid (though I can be corrected of course). What I'd consider, is maybe investing in a Klipper Expander board and trying that in your pico, perhaps. Another choice might be to scrap the pico and consider something like an SKR mini E3 v3. I'm not quite sure whether that board combined with a klipper expander would work; you'll need to look into that. If you definitely want it to work then an Octopus or Octopus Pro board will be sure to work as I have used both of those on 24 and 48V for my printer in general and they definitely have a port for the SFS.
Hello,

I haven't found anything official on this either. I had hoped that one or the other port could possibly be used for a different purpose. Unfortunately, I'm not quite up to speed on the subject and I don't want to destroy the board or the sensor.

I actually wanted to stick with the Pico for the time being. It came with my Voron 0.2 kit and so far I'm quite happy with it. Above all, the small one fits perfectly in the narrow Voron 0.2.

I will now see if I can use other pins and if not I wanted to convert to CAN BUS with the BTT U2C anyway. Maybe I can find a port there.

As a last alternative I would switch to a Manta board. I've been interested in these things for a while now.

Thank you very much

Greetings
Joe

Have you tried using the endstop ports on the Pico? Such as E0-STOP?
Hello,

yes I have. However, the SFS v2 requires a total of two pins, GND and 5V. I first connected this to the "laser" and "E0-Stop" port. But that didn't work at all.
Every time I loaded filament, the board restarted.

Greetings
Joe

Okay switched gears for now and used the following:

GND and GPIO16 from the E0-Stop for GND and Encoder
5V and GPIO29 from SERVOS for 5V and Switch

Switch is working fine. I see the red light when no filament is loaded and in Klipper it shows as "Empty". Encoder light is blue blinking when filament is pushed trough. I think that should do the trick.
Hope this helps.