What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Where does the benefit of running Steppers at higher Voltages come from?

Durahl

So, I've recently made the jump to a BTT Kraken Board in combination with a pair of LDO Kraken Stepper Motors ( using 30T Pulleys ) and yea... Despite still running all of it with only 24V I'm already super pleased with the results over the previous Combo causing lost steps at higher speeds / accelerations.

With the Board and Steppers rated for 60V I'm tempted to operate them with a Mean Well UHP-500-55 PSU but I'm kinda wondering about the benefits of going HV 🤔
Where does the benefit from going HV come from, and does it have an impact on the Stepper Motors Thermals like potentially reducing them? 🤨
Would going HV allow for a reduced run_current resulting in lower thermals while still maintaining the same performance or how does this work?

The reason I'm asking is because set to the usual run_current of 2.1 ( since they're 3.0A ones ) they run HOT™️ enough to require active cooling which kinda bothers me a bit...

It is useful when printing at high speeds because of back EMF voltages: when you print, a stepper motor will generate movement by using electricity to convert it in a magnetic field on their inductors; the careful control of the magnetic field and its interaction with the permanent magnets inside the motor creates movement. The problem is that movement of the magnets over an inductor also generates a voltage, that is lower and opposed to the voltage that comes from the stepper motor driver, but the faster the stepper motor moves, the higher that back voltage is. Using higher voltages allows you to go faster.

Obviously all that is a highly simplified explanation, there are other factors to be considered as well, like the motor's inductance. For instance, empiric testing showed that LDO's 2504 motors performs very well at 48V, but their 2804 motors perform very poorly.