What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Thread lock compound for frame

Saikedo

I just noticed that the old documentation was recommending to apply low-strength threadlock compound for frame assembly but the new one does not mention that anymore. Any idea if it`s a good idea to apply something like purple Loctite 222 to frame bolts?

Thank you

Thread lock can be useful but it has been found that frames rarely shift even if thread lock is not used. If used it should be the weakest you can get as it doesn't need to hold that much. Also if the frame has to be adjusted at all later then the thread lock doesn't do anything once the bolts have been loosened.

I just noticed that the old documentation was recommending to apply low-strength threadlock compound for frame assembly but the new one does not mention that anymore. Any idea if it`s a good idea to apply something like purple Loctite 222 to frame bolts?

Thank you
Call me anal retentive but the spec on Loctite 242 (blue is for 1/4" (6mm) - 1" (25mm) size fasteners. Loctite 222 (purple) is for smaller than 6mm and aluminum parts. IDK if 242 effective on the 3-5mm but I'm going to follow the manufacture's recommendation Loctite 222. I also watched a video from Nero where he was tapping the extrusion 5mm using grease. The best thing to use is tap magic or wd40 or mineral spirits as a cheaper alternative. The grease has a much greater chance of deforming the cut thread by holding chips instead of helping clear them.

You will want to use the Loctite blue (medium) for a Voron. Reason is that you can remove the screws if needed and it won't craze the plastic like the Red will.