What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Solved Heat insulation necessary to avoid bending the acrylic bottom panel?

If I would build my 2.4 once again I would 100% go and laser cut a 1mm steel sheet. A few months ago when I checked it would cost around 30€ for the bottom only panel (Slovenia, EU), add 5€ for black spray color. Additionally what would also do is bend edges (if you perforate bending edges you don't need any special tool to do it yourself).
2022-11-24 22_22_13-sheet metal bending perforate - Google Search – Google Chrome.png

A nice list all the way all around covering the 6 mm track in the profile and double sticked to the panel can look very nice and warping is solved.

I printed a few extra of the deck panel clips for my formbot machine I built that seemed to want to warp more. I clipped them under the machine and clipped some above the machine as to keep the plate sandwiched between it. I believe I put about 8 of them at the top and 8 at the bottom. Works like a charm. My LDO kits I built didn't have this issue, but being extra careful I did the same thing with those.

This is what I did for my bottom panel. I have access to .040" aluminum panel. I made this in my shop and polished it up when I was done.
Is it good or bad, I don't know, I haven't finished my printer yet. I do know that it will not warp ;)
PXL_20221216_223752747.jpg

This is what I did for my bottom panel. I have access to .040" aluminum panel. I made this in my shop and polished it up when I was done.
Is it good or bad, I don't know, I haven't finished my printer yet. I do know that it will not warp ;)
View attachment 1296
I did a cheap version of this an placed just a thin sheet with the size of the bed in under the thumb screws. That alone makes a huge te mm p difference.
Post in thread '250x250 No Kit/Self Sourced Voron 2.4' https://forum.vorondesign.com/threads/250x250-no-kit-self-sourced-voron-2-4.204/post-1838

View attachment 1296
It looks great and it won’t warp, but I’m afraid you’ll have heat transfer issues. It might be hard to get the enclosure temperature high enough and/or keep the electronics cool enough.

@rocky.dibble I would agree. In light of what @Christian said above, I am planning on fabricating another aluminum plate out of the same material that will reside on the extrusions directly below the build plate. It will dimensionally be the same as the build plate, including the spacing of the mounting holes. I anticipate that that extra plate will alleviate any heat issues moving forward.

@rocky.dibble I would agree. In light of what @Christian said above, I am planning on fabricating another aluminum plate out of the same material that will reside on the extrusions directly below the build plate. It will dimensionally be the same as the build plate, including the spacing of the mounting holes. I anticipate that that extra plate will alleviate any heat issues moving forward.
I think two plates with an air gap between would work pretty well. You’ll need spacers around mounting holes, but I bet you already thought of that. If you printed an ABS mesh to place between the two plates, you’d sort of have home brew ACM

For those using Deck Panel Support Clips....How many are on each side of the bottom are you using?