What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Missing information in the build Manual

cheetah

Printer Model
V0 (Unfinished)
Greetings, I am 100% self sourcing my Voron V0
2r1 and I am buying and sourcing everything after time and I am kinda stuck, the BOM & the self sourcing recalls 3 different wiring gauges which are 18, 20 & 22 AWG. I am aware out of logic the End stops need 22 AWG Cable wiring since it's the thinnest you can fit, I think it would be fair to call this out in the manual since the only mention of the wiring gauge is for the Inlet wiring and power supply everything else is just not mentioned and or "missing"? Don't get me wrong but if you are trying to self source everything and follow the BOM, reading the manual just leaves some question marks for that. I hope this might help fixing some unanswered questions in the Manual.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240515-215955.png
    Screenshot_20240515-215955.png
    276.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240515-220001.png
    Screenshot_20240515-220001.png
    347 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240515-220054.png
    Screenshot_20240515-220054.png
    150.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240515-220120.png
    Screenshot_20240515-220120.png
    325.1 KB · Views: 2
Hi, this is general wiring recommendations we use:
For certain other things like single neopixels, you can get away with AWG26/0.14 mm2 wires.
As for 22 or 24 AWG for PTFE/FEP wiring: it is desirable for wires to have 19 thin copper strands. Wiring available on Aliexpress has less than that for AWG24, and 19+ starts at AWG 22. Thus it's recommended to get AWG 22 when buying FEP wires from Ali.

Pretty much what @Sanity Agathion said. For the wire on Ali, you need to carefully check the description to make sure it's 19 strand, but it can be found. For tool head Neopixels I've used AWG30 silicone with success, but only within the tool head where it doesn't move & space is really tight.

I suspect my question opens up a lot of confusion. I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that there should be some kind of "guiding value" in instructions in order to stick to something. It's just questionable why something like this is missing from a manual. I really appreciate the work of the Voron community, but I think there are still gaps and improvements. If I'm not mistaken, Voron's goal is to install easily accessible parts as well as "self-producing" ones. This isn't meant to give bad feedback, but such gaps simply shouldn't leave room for your own imagination. If you compare the instructions for the Trident and the 2.5, there is a lot more critical information and details than the unloved child called "V0". I hope this half-drunk English of mine is a little more clear and easier to understand. Of course I realize that I can just buy a ready-made kit but that's not my plan because I want to print and build a Voron Trident with my Voron 0 without using a kit.

unloved child called "V0".
VORON Legacy has entered the chat.

Seriously, though, v0 has probably had the most steady stream of development and upgrades. The easiest way to get the desired changes is to contribute: You can raise an issue or make a PR with proposed changes on GitHub. It's regularly reviewed.

VORON Legacy has entered the chat.

Seriously, though, v0 has probably had the most steady stream of development and upgrades. The easiest way to get the desired changes is to contribute: You can raise an issue or make a PR with proposed changes on GitHub. It's regularly reviewed.
I had a genuine smile when you mentioned Legacy but I believe there are even more further abondened project older than the legacy ^^

But yeah you are right, I should take this to the github.

I suspect my question opens up a lot of confusion. I just wanted to draw attention to the fact that there should be some kind of "guiding value" in instructions in order to stick to something. It's just questionable why something like this is missing from a manual. I really appreciate the work of the Voron community, but I think there are still gaps and improvements. If I'm not mistaken, Voron's goal is to install easily accessible parts as well as "self-producing" ones. This isn't meant to give bad feedback, but such gaps simply shouldn't leave room for your own imagination. If you compare the instructions for the Trident and the 2.5, there is a lot more critical information and details than the unloved child called "V0". I hope this half-drunk English of mine is a little more clear and easier to understand. Of course I realize that I can just buy a ready-made kit but that's not my plan because I want to print and build a Voron Trident with my Voron 0 without using a kit.
Also keep in mind that up to until very recently the manuals were written with the assumption that the person doing the build knows what they are doing. The pandemic and the proliferation of ready-made kits brought a high number of people who does not necessarily have the experience the old timers have, and the manuals are slowly being adjusted to that when they are being revised. As Sanity said, opening an issue on Github is the best way to get that kind of information noticed for addition.

I was going to comment on the ease of finding wiring sizes and checked the manuals first. The V0.2r1 manual I have shows AWG18 or larger specified for the mains wiring, like what is shown in my now-older copy of the Trident. Much of the rest is wiring already attached to devices (motors, fans). Granted, I don't see anything noting AWG24 or larger for the various signal interconnects upon quick skim, so that would be a good addition request on the GitHub.