What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Another "what toolhead" Q

Ryan_M

Should I go with the tried 'n' true SB? or something else?

- Making a Voron 2.4 250mm (actually 235mm since I already have mic6 plate, but keeping 250 frame dims)
- want CAN
- want TAP
- don't care about speed, print quality is the priority
- going to run Monolith AWD... I already have the extra bits in the parts bucket and I like the looks of it. From what I understand I'll still benefit from the shorter belt lengths and better control so there's that.
- never touch PLA, mostly print ABS/ASA, but want to get into some more advanced filaments like cf-nylon
- I want to be able to swap hotends easily without having to do complete teardowns

No doubt I forgot some key piece of information! Thanks for any input

If you are going AWD then you want speed and therefore a lighter weight toolhead than the SB. I would recommend the Xol which I plan on switching to myself within the next couple of months but there are MANY alternative toolheads out there

I'm so confused by the juxtaposition of "I don't care about speed" and "going to run monolith awd".

I'm so confused by the juxtaposition of "I don't care about speed" and "going to run monolith awd".
Well it's $0 extra, I like the looks of it, and I've read people reporting improved print quality keeping the same print speed - likely due to the effective halving of the belt length. Are you saying stock would give better print quality over the monolith?

My Ender3 that ive done a few upgrades to (including a SB) happily chugs away at 5mm³/s max and gives me pretty nice and reliable prints - for an ender. If I can increase that to 10mm³/s wit hthe 2.4 then that's plenty for me.

Awd adds a notable amount of difficulty to the build (properly synching the awd motors is a whole thing), and the reason for doing awd is all about ludicrous speeds/accelerations.

I am unaware of claims that awd provides quality benefits (before ludicrous speed territory)